With P2P such as eMule, it hang average about every 6 hr. With Skype voice chat, it hang every 30 min about 20% of the time.
Found that DD-WRT, and OpenWRT both are under development to replace the firmware, while Linksys does not provide any later version neither.
There are some information I gather to hack this router and replace it with OpenWRT:
- Steps to compile Linux kernel
- Serial cable configuration, which use JP1 socket inside WRT55ag board
- Processor is 200 MHz Atheros AR50001AP
- Firmware bootloader is VxWork for ar531x rev 0x00005742
- Network interface name is /dev/ae0
- Network loopback name is /dev/lo0
- EEPROM size 4 MB, RAM 16 MB
- Serial cable is the only approach to control the device
- Serial protocol is 9600, N, 8-bit, 1 stop, no hardware handshake
- Only found 1 homepage who installed it successfully http://legacy.not404.com/OpenWRT/Atheros/Linksys/WRT55AGv2